Two of my favorite projects are the costumes I made for the hubby and me for last year's Renaissance Festival. It was our second time going and we had to have costumes because it really adds to the whole experience.
I broke my general rule about not using Simplicity patterns for two reasons; 1) they were on sale for $1 each and 2) I liked them the best of all the ones I looked at. Especially mine.
I chose the hubby's because I thought I could use it for several different costumes, including a Dark Elf.
I was very, very fortunate because I was given almost all the fabric I used for free. This includes the exact same green fabric I was originally looking at for my dress!
Unfortunately, because I broke my general rule and used Simplicity I had some issues with my dress, mainly with sizing and getting the pieces to fit properly. A few hours, and several choice words later, it finally worked! I also made the hubby's doublet shorter because I didn't have enough of the fabric for the longer length.
The buttons on hubby's doublet are gold plated (and I found them in the clearance section of Hobby Lobby!). The trim on the sleeves and the bottom were hand sewn. All the trim and ribbon on my dress were hand sewn, including the flowers and the vines.
I love, love, love how my dress came out. I have a few Renaissance patterns and thought I had the new pattern picked out, but I love this one so much I think I might wear it again this year.